Thursday, March 17, 2011

Shamrock T-Shirt

Happy St. Patricks Day!!! Hope everyone is having an awesome day! As you all know from my St. Patricks Day Wreath Post I LOVE me some St. Paddy's day*!! So I decided to share another little project I whipped up for the day.  A Shamrock T-shirt!

Wanna know how I did it?


Well I used the age-old freezer paper stenciling method.  Not familiar with freezer paper stenciling? Well allow me to introduce you! I can not guarantee though that you wont become obsessed, I sure have!! 

First you should pre-wash your t-shirt, just in case it shrinks at all.  

Then you want to grab some freezer paper and your cricut or silhouette machine (if you don't own one of these you can also cut out something with an X-Acto knife - I however don't have a steady hand and would make it look like a mess if I tried that!). 

Find a shamrock image you like and cut it on out with the shiny side of the freezer paper facing down.
Then using the negative space carefully iron your freezer paper down onto your t-shirt with the shiny side down again, making sure that its ironed down well so it wont peel up during painting.
Now your ready to paint.  Grab some fabric paint and a foam brush and give your shamrock a few coats.  I discovered that using white paint on a darker material requires quite a few coats.  I did 4 for this shirt, letting them dry about 30 mins in between.
Wait about 4 hours (or overnight if you can) then carefully peel your freezer paper off your shirt and your done!  You can wash it after 72 hours.

Its so easy and cute!!

Materials:
  • T-shirt (I got mine at Joannes) ~ $3
  • Tulip Brand Soft Fabric Paint ~ $2
  • Foam Brush ~ $0.40
  • Freezer paper
  • Iron
  • Cutting machine or X-Acto knife
Steps:
  1. Pre-wash your t-shirt.
  2. Cut out a Shamrock image using either your cutting machine or X-Acto knife, with the freezer paper shiny side down.
  3. Iron freezer paper onto t-shirt - shiny side down
  4. Do 4 thin coats (or however many till you get the desired look) of fabric paint in your stencil, waiting about 30 mins after each coat.
  5. After 4 hours gently peel off freezer paper.
  6. After 72 hours you can wash your new shirt.
  7. Wear the pretty new Tee with pride :)
* Update - I Did NOT acheive my goal of having a Shamrock Shake and I am very sad about it.  Apparently no McDonalds in the greater Austin area has them! What is up with that??? :(

Check out the awesome parties I am linking to!!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments, I love getting them!!